My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

declaration

I was reading through my systematic theology textbook and came across this gem of a poem/prayer. It really speaks to some of the longings in my heart to seek after Christ with all I am, intentionally and purposefully, recklessly and fearlessly:

"Father, I am Your bread. Break me up and pass me around to the poor and needy of this world.

I am your towel. Dampen me with tears and with me wash the feet of people who are weary with walking and with working.

I am Your light. Take me out where the darkness is thick, there to shine and let Christ shine.

I am Your pen. Write with me whatever word You wish, and placard the word where the least and the lost of the world will see it and read it and be helped by it.

I am Your salt. Sprinkle me on all the things that You want for people, so that my faith and love and hope will flavor their experiences.

I am Your water. Pour me into people who thirst for You but do not even know that it is You for whom they thirst. Pour into them and trust that You have helped me to place in You. Pour into them the inward witness that is in me. Pour into them the promise that soon the summer drought will pass and refreshing rivers of water will gush down over them.

I am Yours, Lord God. Use me up in what You will, when You will, where You will, for whom You will, even if it means that I am given responsibilities that are considerable and costly."

(Grider 1994, 526-7)

No comments: