My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

roots, rocks and a little perspective

Today we adventured on our last day of biking to the Nordiac Heritage Center in Presque Isle. As our bikes departed on the single-track trails, up and down the hills we went, slipping on roots, rocks, and every other weed and branch one could imagine present in the woods. Needless to say, I was slightly unamused.

As our promised descent from this place approached, I began to find myself rather frustrated thinking we were on our way down the mountain and wondering why exactly we were still climbing gigantically steep hills. Once again, I was unimpressed and an unimpressive attitude began to fester in my heart.

Mounting once again on my seat, I began to relentlessly pedal over rocks and roots galore...recognizing my frustration and poor attitude, I began to ask the Lord for strength and to change my attitude. Suddenly, I heard a voice - not likened unto a whisper nor a yell - it was an assertive, plainly sweet voice calling, "Look around Beloved."

Quickly, as though a switch had been turned on inside of me, I found myself smiling and instinctively taking in with my eyes the breathtaking view around me. As I forgot about the awful roots, rocks, and mud beneath me, this is what I began to see:





Though I strongly believe woody trails should be reserved strictly for jogging, strolling or hiking, I'm thankful for the opportunity to recognize mountain biking isn't my thing. I am a big fan of road biking, and biking to a destination. When I'm out trampsing among trails I feel lost without a purpose, consumed by the slippery roots, pesky bugs, and jagged rocks. I've learned much about pushing my physical limits this past week and today I learned once again to how much I need to bless the Lord at all times. Instead of thinking about myself I needed to change my perspective, to look beyond what my wheels tred upon and instead, to glance up, to recognize the beauty our great Lord has prepared for us and I was blessed to see today.


Here's to turning in my trail maps and retiring from my week in the woods...

No comments: