My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

lifeguarding

The other day I was lifeguarding in the pool, once again for my ‘little sisters’ in group #1. All of a sudden Madison called out to me excitedly, “Look Miss Christy! Look! I’m swimming to you!”. I gave her thumbs up and a smile as she climbed out of the pool preparing to jump. “Did you see that Miss Christy!? Are you so very proud of me for doing such a great job?” I assumed Madison must have had someone tell her she did such a great job at something for her to parrot this grand statement to me completely off the cuff and without prodding.

This showed me Madison’s trust in me as a person responsible for her care. She knew I would be watching – all she needed to do was call to get my attention – and even without calling out, she had my attention – watching for her safety, and she could delight herself in swimming rather than worrying about saving her own life in the pool.

I related this to how we try to get God’s attention sometimes. What we do not always realize is that we already have His full attention – yet still we cry out. “Look Abba! Did you see that? Are you so very proud of me for doing such a great job?” Sometimes I feel like God smiles on us and says, “Beloved, look! Look what I have done through you – you gave a valiant effort. Come my weak little one, let me teach you how to find true strength.”

It is important to realize Madison is completely capable of swimming without me and jumping too, but her childlike excitement made me chuckle inside – and reflection on it now, I get a picture of presenting myself before the Lord with a similar childlike faith – carrying with it a belief that He loves me simply because I am His child – and I can delight in knowing He is watching me try, attempt, fail, and succeed – all according to His great plan for my life. In the future I will continue to venture boldly and courageously down the pathway God has designed and ordained for my life – trusting that He is watching – protecting – and guiding me along the way.

No comments: