My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Monday, July 27, 2009

a hippie named Lindsay

Yesterday I was traveling to Wal-Mart to pick up a few much needed items like shampoo and saline solution when I saw a woman – clad in a flowing green outfit sitting on the grass along the driveway. Exhaustion pained her face as she hopelessly held out her cardboard sign: “Traveling. Broke. Hungry.” This was complimented with a peace sign in the corner. My heart was instantly flooded with an overwhelming amount of emotions. First of all, I was excited because whenever I see people like this alongside the road they are usually scruffy men with giant bags, and I find it necessary to honor my parents request not to associate with them when I am by myself.

Today, however, it was different – it was a lady! I felt like for once, I could actually help someone in this type of situation. I pleaded with the Lord, “God please keep her there! Please! I really want to bless her day. If you keep her there until I get out of this store, I’ll get her something. Please Lord! Help her stay there!”I noticed not many cars were even giving her and the little cardboard sign a second glance, yet my heart felt moved to get her something while I ran my errands.
The Lord laid it on my heart to buy her something with sustenance – food. I headed to the juice aisle, not knowing what to get, and having a constant conversation with the Lord asking Him, as if He would somehow pull it off the shelf for me and stick it in the cart. Reflecting on this small moment in time, I realize now that is essentially just what He did. Standing in the juice aisle I found myself gathering a favorite of mine – a 100% juice mix with servings of fruit and vegetables.

Okay Lord, so now what do I get this lady to eat? “Special K peanut butter protein bars” rang in my mind. Before I knew what I was doing, I instinctively was wheeling my cart across the store to retrieve these protein bars. The funniest thing about choosing this type of protein bar is rather interesting. You see to funny understand the implications of this very small, seemingly insignificant gesture one must know two important bits of information: 1) they are my favorite and Wal-Mart has been out of them since June. 2) There was only one box in the whole store on this shelf.

I contemplated getting another kind, but was quickly reminded that there was only one box of these, clearly the Lord wanted this lady to have this box of protein bars. Perhaps it was my nerves and excitement warring against one another in a giant dance of my mind and heart that caused me to forget where I parked my car – but it took me a few minutes to realize I was on the entirely opposite side of the parking lot than where I was looking for my vehicle. I had a clear plan etched out in my mind. I would jump in the car and drive across the parking lot to see if the lady was still sitting on the grass. If she was, which I dearly hoped so I would give her the food and tell her it was a blessing from the Lord – if not, I would keep it. Plain, short, simple, and sweet.

I was emotionally relieved as I pulled my Jeep up behind where the lady was sitting. She glanced over, exhausting still etched on her face. “Hey!” she called. I answered back politely with a “Hello!” Then something on her face twitched, jolted almost, as I moved toward her. She spoke again, “Is that…is that food?” “Yes Maham!” I answered excitedly. Throwing her arms straight up in the air she nearly sung, she was so excited, “Yes! Score! I’m sooo hungry!”

She ran over to me and as I placed the food items into her hands, her tired eyes met mine for a split second. “Here you go! I saw you sitting here and wanted to get you a little something. God bless you!” I said. “Well, bless you too dear!” she said back. She seemed most excited to share with her friends that were somewhere near by, but nowhere that I could see. Tossing her arms around my neck she gave me a thankful hug and skipped off to explore her gifts on the grass. She gave me a peace sign and I turned away. Without thinking I turned around and called back to her, “Excuse me Mam! What’s your name?” “My name? Oh, it’s Lindsay! Yours?” “Christy! God bless you Lindsay!”

I walked back to my car nearly skipping, nearly crying, and I realized how something so simple, so intentional vastly changed the outcome of my day – and Lindsay’s too. As I drove away she was beaming with a thankful smile, waving and giving me the peace sign, I smiled inside thinking about how great God is for entrusting us to do little things like this that bless His beloved children.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great story Christy. Very inspirational and uplifting. I am going to make your blog my home page so I can keep up to date on what God is doing through your awesome heart for Him. God Bless