My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

consume consume consume

Weary faces crowd the dining hall - like a massive cattle movement, people herd themselves through the lines, slopping giant portions of delicious substances on their plates. Somehow the process has a consistent flow of moving back and forth, between one another, yet never interacting, touching, or acknowledging.

Massive groups of people waltz right past one another without as much as a single grin or twinkle in their eye to acknowledge there is life and breath right beside them. Different we look indeed, but unique are the shapes, the faces, and voices of those all around us.

Chomping down the food, a hearty portion of something sweet to top it off - the thought crosses my mind: How is it that the majority of our day revolves around these massive feedings and the minority revolves around personability or relationships - people really? Why do we take so little time to acknowledge life, yet we make it a priority to consume, consume, consume at least 3 times a day?? People in third world countries spend the majority of their days being personable, loving, sharing, fellowshipping and the minority eating (if even possible).


We're taught at a young age that it's all about "me". What flawed thinking this is. It's not about "me" at all...it never has been and it never will be. So why do we all seek so much to pamper and tend to self?

The young boy who sees free lollie-pops and doesn't think twice about taking 5 because they're all for 'him' - who cares about those 4 kids who might not get one later. He has his 5 and he was satisfied - even though he knew he should only take one.

The girls who slip into the icecream line pretending they know someone so they can cut - what a tragedy it would be if they couldn't satisfy their sweet tooth at that very moment. I mean really - who willingly places others before themselves, that's just a lame idea right? Do I have to let others get what they want and possibly risk not getting what I want?

Or how about the teenage kid who waltzes by the table with free lollie-pops and strategically slips one in his pocket, assured no one just saw him - only to return and deliberately make a point in someone recognizing he has selected the gem of all lollie-pops and this is the "one" he has chosen - minus of course the "hidden" one he stored away earlier.

When I see these things it brings sadness to my heart. Why? Why are we so focused on self that we seek to gain, gain, gain instead of giving? Why is so much self-gain attempted in secret? Would it spoil the act or front we all wear of helping others on the outside, when in reality our hearts are totally disengaged? World...what has happened??? When did life become less worthy or valuable then the elements we seek to satisfy our flesh?

No comments: