My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Friday, July 11, 2008

a flawed perspective

The other night I was sitting in a worship service and the overwhelming thought and presence of Christ's image worn on every human being pummeled me.

Have you ever met someone that "too closely" represents someone else you've met in your life that left you with negative feelings or experiences? Well this week I met a man at camp who resembeled someone in my extended family who is no longer a part of the family. They did some things that were awful to people I love and without realizing it, I think I have some stored away judgements about that individual.

So I meet a man at camp with a giant smile and if only he wouldn't have looked somewhat like the person who hurt my family and if only they didn't carry the same name, perhaps it would have been easier, but this man (as sweet and friendly as he was) in my eyes became the other person. Perhaps this sounds completely ridiculous, but it is the truth. I couldn't see past the outside of this person as much as a tried, all I saw was the sinfulness of another person they looked like.

As I sat in worship I looked at the back of this persons head and it struck me: "Lord, he's made in Your image. Carefully crafted...You made him."

My eyes filled with tears as a pulling feeling consumed me. There was a glow about this man that was familiar and peaceful. Christ dwells in him and he was created to bare the image of his Creator, God - just as I was.

In that moment I realized it's not about an outward appearance - and even though someone may appear a certain way on the outside, does not change the work of Christ on the inside. When Christ consumes a life, the person is radically killed of themselves, dead, only to find new life in Christ alone. So this man who resembled someone not walking with the Lord - was himself a beautiful representation of Christ's joy and peace and transforming power.

I guess now my prayer and hope would be to have the ability to look upon the person who did evil things and hurt people and to recognize the image of Christ in them too - however marred, blurred, or distant. I realized today the true measure of my flesh - judgemental and assuming - but Christ in me is Love. Christ is Love.

No comments: