My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Friday, August 29, 2008

exhausted

Ever feel like your body could keep on keepin' on for a bit, but your brain wants to take a nap? When we ignore that feeling, eventually our brain starts demanding naps, and if we don't in fact respond to and honor the request for a mental break, our brain goes on vacation for a time.

I have been going non-stop for 10 weeks now and my brain has been screaming at me the last 2 to give it a rest. However, life around me says that there will be plenty of time to take brain breaks later, now I need to focus. I heard tell of this scenario called "summer team crash n' burn". It is highly contagious to persons who devote their entire summer to running around from camp to camp, counseling and dealing with people until it begins to feel like a lifestyle. It's a 24 hour a day demanding job. You eat, sleep, move, and work like camp. Moments of the day are consumed with 'go go going' and opportunities to love, serve, and minister to people are placed like a buffet before your very eyes. Basically it's a feast of ministry opportunities. Then you get back to Bible college, and like myself you begin to not know what to do with yourself. In a sense, you feel like you're not accomplishing anything.

I haven't been able to get to sleep before midnight because I feel like I haven't accomplished enough tasks or work before doing so. I forget things easily (my brain takes naps) and I find myself going in and out of rooms to retrieve items I realize I needed 2-3 seconds after I leave. So it's time for a break. I'm heading to sleep and sleep I shall until I waken, without the wellmeaning assistance of an alarmclock. It's time for some good ol' fashioned oscillation - rest - rejuvination -renewal.

Pray for me if you think to. I know the Lord has amazing plans for this year. I also recognize that in order to be prepared for these, I need to take care of my body!

So friends, give your brains a little break. Just be and stop thinking for awhile. Sleep, rest, joy. Love y'all!

No comments: