My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

the punctuation police

I read a neat saying from an old e-mail today that identified perfectly where I am at in my life right now, “Never put a question mark where God puts a period”. When I put this together with what we learned in first grade grammar I find myself smiling. Before we could ever fully manage to wrap our minds around the implications of this simple rule, grammar taught us that a command always ends in a period – there is no question to it – it is simply a direct command. Reflecting on this statement, I realized how tempting it is for us as Christians to waltz around daily like the punctuation police, questioning things that were intended to be simple instructions.


I think the reason this quote resonated so much with my heart is because God has put a fair amount of “periods” in my life over these last couple of months during internship – no ands, ifs, or buts about it! Just when I began to feel like I was hitting a dead end in the barrel of opportunities, the Lord faithfully opened a door of unique ministry for me to team up with and participate in. As of this coming week I will be helping out at a local rescue mission - and possible with a local Christian counselor - whatever God has planned. The statement on the Rescue Mission’s newsletter said this, “serving the least, the last, and the lost”. That’s my heart cry! I know it may be tempting to question - but once again He keeps putting periods, exactly where they're needed in my life!

No comments: