My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

internship reflection (part 1)

(These thoughts are inspired from my comprehensive reflection paper/final assignment. It's rather appropriate that there are 6 parts.)

The Georgia sun pressed wildly upon my face as we wound through the wooded roadway to discover a small village of sorts amidst nature’s peace and quiet. Beholding the landscape before me, I quickly realized this would be the official stomping grounds of my newest six month adventure – internship. Little did I know that this beauty would be present before be the majority of my days in Georgia. Its captivating features would allow me opportunities of much thinking and reflection, even during the toughest of days.

Breathtaking baby blue, cloudless skies were enchanting, as well as glimmering golden beams of warmth and heat. I felt worlds away from anywhere I’d ever been before, and yet I knew in my heart of hearts, this was just the beginning. Macon, Georgia, full of historical roots from the early days of our country’s foundation was completely opposite of little Aroostook County, Maine where I’ve spent the last sixteen years of my life. In a matter of moments I went from secondary, bumpy roads, to four lane highways – from two grocery stores to two within a mile of each other – from small town to big city – from neighborhoods to ghettos or plantations.

If one cliché statement in all my life rings true it is simply, “Home is where the heart is”. This new, strange, warm, foreign land somehow became my home for six months – and with little planning, thought, or even consideration of things being any other way than they simply were, I began to change. Home somehow became the place where I met Him – deep in my heart. Home was no longer a building, or specific town, nor a school, old memory, or ideal – it was quite simply found in my heart – in the One whom my heart finds total and utter rest in.

Breaking apart from all things familiar made me absolutely uncomfortable, yet this season of preparation was crucial, vital even, to my character development, and discovery of an even deeper passion for the work of Christ. Understanding that God never brings us through anything He does not fully intend on using for His glory and our growth, sustained me on many occasions through the storms of this season. It uplifted me during many celebrations, victories, and accomplishments in this season. It puzzled me in many obstacles, opportunities, and relationships this season – yet overall, God consistently remained faithful!

Considering my time and ministry experiences over these last six months, I believe part of my final journal touches on it best, “It’s strange how quickly we transition from beginning to end – be it in a season, a class, a career, a moment in time – whatever it may be, the changes, experiences, and lessons gleaned are never fully captured in the instances themselves, but rather later on, after reflection has been practiced, and consideration been given.”

“I believe my internship in Macon, Georgia has been one of those times in my life where I have learned and grown, yet I know this is just the beginning. I know there is much more to learn, and much more to experience. While this place has been my ‘stomping grounds’ for the last six months, and God has allowed various relationships to become strong and focused on Him in this season, I cannot help but feel like it’s almost unnatural to be finished.’

“Honestly, when I began my internship initially, it felt like six months was a long period of time – ½ a year – a whole summer and semester at school – yet, looking back now, I wonder and cannot help but laugh at how considerably different I think, act, and feel since May. Coming to Georgia has been full of its surprises, mostly wonderful, and sometimes disappointing and downright frustrating” but overall, it’s been beautiful, and completely life changing.

My internship has been a season of becoming – of blossoming – beholding – warring – stripping – stretching – bearing – and adventuring. I believe now, more than ever, that I have become more of the young woman God has intended me to be. My Nana summed it up uniquely in saying, “Christy, dear, you have truly blossomed.” The way I speak, think, carry myself, laugh, discover, research, write, and communicate have all been significantly refined and grown. I found myself beholding the Lord and His love for people in ways like never before. I found myself undone – shaken – disturbed even. There were moments even, when I was too moved to speak, to think, to walk, to question. Encountering the Living God in a foreign land was necessary for me at this point in my life. It enabled me to pursue the fullness of what God had for me in Georgia be it through opportunities to serve, relationships, or even building connections.

No comments: