My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

could the change in your pocket change someone's day?

On Thursday H.C. Wilson came to speak in chapel representing Global Partners. He talked about God's great-grace and how we have been so very blessed with everything we need in North America.

At the close of his message he asked that we empty our pockets of loose change to send to Haiti to help those being ravaged by the hurricanes. Most of their island is apparently waist or knee deep in water and they're having difficulty managing basic things like food, etc. I felt a little bad wishing I had some change to give, but my friend Nick Doyle and I prayed that God would take the money and multiply it 100 fold.

As I closed my eyes to continue worshipping I got a vivid picture of my little soccer-piggy bank (my date-day fund) sitting on the altar. "Hey!" I tought to myself, "that has money in it!" I felt prompted to go get it. So I ran back to my room, grabbed a paper bag and my piggybank. "Lord, do I have to give my piggy bank?" " No, just empty it." So I did, tunies and loonies, and quarters gallore spilled from this heavy little bank of treasure. Then I heard a rustling and found some bills that had been crushed at the top. 'These too???" I wondered. "Not a mite would I withhold..." rung through my head. So I EMPTIED all the cash to my name (I didn't bother counting it) and trucked back to the chapel. Smiling I thought to myself, "Christy, someday people are going to empty their piggybanks for you...".

Our school...the 200ish students...offered what little we had that day and totaled: $1960 and change. along with a sweater and a bible.

H.C. Wilson struck at my heart when he read the account of a man in Vietnam after the country had been ravaged by war. The man told of seeing a citizen clothed in a shirt so thread bare that he had pieces of wire holding it together. "I took his picture," the man said, "but I did not give him my shirt." I watched as one of my brothers in Christ walked forward to lay his expensive American Eagle hoodie on the altar for someone that needs a shirt. It brought joy to my heart - I think God is working in this young man's heart to follow him as a missionary - wherever that may be.

It's funny when how our bank balances get a little low - we start withholding, perhaps without even realizing it. We think about all the trips we'd like to plan (maybe even missions trips) or our "to get" list we need of basic little things. We classify it as budgeting or being wise with our expenses and these things are good yes, but I think the Lord taught me an interesting lesson through the emptying of my little piggybank. It took me 2 years of saving to pack this little bank with some hefty change and now it's en route to Haiti.

How easy it is for us to forget the story in the gospels of a woman bringing her two pieces of money, everything she owned, to offer at the temple. She emptied herself of all security - worldly provision- there was no security cushion in her bank account. She gave everything without question and trusted that her Supply would meet her needs.

I trust God will provide for and meet all of my needs, that He will faithfully continue to be my provision - yet sometimes I forget that perhaps I am to be a vessel of God's provision for others. I do not need to have "such and such" an amount in my checking/savings account to know that God will provide. He already has and I trust He will continue to provide, abundantly and overflowing. Sure some people might chuckle at me and think this is a naive proclaimation and maybe it is...but I believe differently. Jehovah Jireh has taught me to know differently.

"Take my silver and my gold...not a mite will I withhold...not a mite will I withhold."

No comments: