My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

simple as a reflection

I recently wrapped up the book of Proverbs in my nightly devotional time and have been chewing on this verse for about a week now:

"As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person."
-Proverbs 27:19

We are called to emulate Christ in our words, thoughts, actions, and even in the way we love one another. Sometimes this can be tough, but still the call remains the same. We are called in Ephesians to "Live as children of the Light - to imitate Christ" - so why do we have such a difficult time doing this?

Well...as a face is reflected in water...so the heart reflects the real person.
Matthew 12:34 says "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Therefore I am led to believe that the words escaping from our mouths - if they come from the abundance of our hearts, and our hearts reflect our real person - the words we speak are a direct expression of who we are - what we stand for, value, represent. Our words paint a picture of our character.

I don't know about you, but I want my character, the reflection seen of me - the abundance and overflow of my heart to be so consumed with Christ that there is no question what I have spent my time, energy, and efforts filling myself with - simply Christ, nothing else or substitutionary.

So what's a practical way to work on this? Hide God's word in my heart.
Psalm 40:8 says, " I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart."

Lord may my heart bare a reflection that brings Your name much glory and points others to You.

No comments: