My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

remembering 9/11/01

Seven years ago in a small town classroom - my classmates and I sat, alert and ready to learn as our teacher began her lecture. 8th grade was a big deal and having just come off of an incredible summer of traveling and vacationing, we were all still 'excited' to be at school.

A loud knock sounded off the door as another teacher entered and spoke to our teacher. Without hesitation she left the room - without saying a word. Not sure what exactly was going on we chattered amongst ourselves. She returned with the rolling television set, instructed us to gather our chairs around and we watched.

On the screen was a man with some sort of fog or smoke in the background. "Are we watching a space ship launch?" some questioned. "It looks kind've like New York City!" I remarked. My dance class had just been in the city a month before. "I agree" my fellow dance friend remarked. Suddenly the screen zoomed in, but it was still quite unclear as to what was going on. Then we saw it, "Hey that building is on fire!" "Woah, how did that happen?"

Something in my heart told me this wasn't just an accident. As we sat transfixed looking at the screen our chatter began to subside. We were all busily thinking and hypothesizing what exactly was going on. Then I saw it a faint little speck coming from the right side of the screen. "Hey, oh my goodness! Is that another plane?" I remarked. "No, it's probably a helicopter filming the fire" my classmate answered. "I'm serious it looks like a plane! It's heading straight for the building!" The second tower was hit and our mouths flew open. We sat for a good hour before that screen in shock and wonder as we watched news reports of our country basically falling apart. Fear gripped our hearts and a great sadness began to settle as well.

I remember well when Jon (sometimes our class clown) turned around me and with a great seriousness in his eyes said, "Christy, I know you were in New York last month. I'm really glad you're not there now."

Those words spoke volumes to me that day.
I began to worry about my dad an army soldier and his talk of being deployed.
Our soccer games were cancelled.
Everyone went straight home after school...and a chilling silence filled the air.
All around me was quiet - sadness and grief for the loss of our country was everywhere.

For the next several weeks I would sit and watch with my parents from the time I came home after school until bedtime. The only portion of reports I never saw was those of persons jumping for their lives from the fiery building. My heart was gripped and broken for New York City - the Big Apple that would never again be quite the same. My heart was saddened and grieved for all the families who wouldn't have daddys and mommys, lovers, friends, parents, etc home that night or ever again.

This event will forever be burned in my memory - it was a moment of great shifting in my thinking about humanity and it wickedness - and also the importance of LOVE, COMPASSION, and SERVICE.



9-11-01 ... 7 years ago already - that is hard to believe.
Take a little time to remember those whose lives were forever shifted by this event and to pray for our country and all the giant changes that have been brought about in light of these circumstances.

1 comment:

AestheticEngineering said...

I i agree, so often when we think of the chilling reality of how desperate these people were to escape the building, it reminds us of how desperate our need to share Christ with everyone. our first response is to force it on them with passion. but that does not speak to this dying world. It is in fact love compassion and service.

good stuff