My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

detestable beauty?

I've been wondering over the last week: what exactly defines beauty?
Have we over the span of time so significantly altered the purpose of beauty that we miss that which is beauty in exchange for what we choose to make it?

As women in society today we are told that if we dress a certain way, smell nice, and apply a said amount of energy into creating an attractive hairstyle, we're well on our way to being seen as beautiful. Men label "beautiful" women as "hot" or "smokin'" and these terms alone cause women to detest their beauty. Women are equally guilty in this area, as they vocalize their thoughts on the "manliness" or "masculine abilities" of the men around them. This often focuses around their strength or abilities - to deny encouragement and affirmation in these areas is crushing. When beauty is mocked, boxed up and labeled with a rotten permanent marker, it smears the purity, the sacredness of the beauty being beheld. It makes beauty seem and feel dirty, it makes it almost unwanted or perhaps, detestable.

So how can we both express the beauty of Christ in our lives, yet not be distracting? How can we flee from any attempt to distract our brothers - to not lose the focus of keeping a pure motive - basically to display and radiate true beauty without any sort of selfish agenda attached? How do we allow beauty not to be detestable, difficult, and tedious, but rather a joyous, free, effortless thing?

1 Peter 3:3-4 says, " Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."

I was reading in my systematic theology textbook this week and came across a rather profound thought that speaks to this issue: "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder is a partly correct statement. Beauty is both in the beholder, and in what is beheld - but it does not exist in a prior way as an eternal concept." (Grider, 54) Beauty seems to be a combined effort of that which is recognized as being beautiful - and that which is necessary to behold it, to proclaim its beauty.

How interesting it is to consider the emphasis we place on the abilities of the beholder, that sometimes we sacrifice or miss an opportunity to view the true beauty of the beheld. Is this text perhaps also implying that beauty is found in the moment? We so often seek out beauty through retrospect or dreaming, but could we possiblly be so foolishly bypassing the beheld, in order to be deemed an efficient beholder?

I also like the idea of something beautiful being beheld. The very word sounds as though it calls for a special honor - a gentleness - or grace perhaps. Beauty is simply: beheld. Nothing terribly complicated or perplexing about the process - simply a combined/shared effort on behalf of the beholder and the beheld to display and recognize beauty.

This week my apartment participated in a challenge where we hid our "toolboxes" designed to make us 'beautiful'. We spent a week seeking a new perspective on beauty - and sought to recognize the beauty in others and the reflection of Christ's beauty within ourselves. It's difficult to step away from outward adornments and comforts, but so very rewarding. I recognized this week that I am beautiful...why? My heart reflects the Love of my Creator, my Lover, my Savior, Breath and Life. Thank you my dear beautiful sisters for journeying with me in this adventurous week.

1 comment:

learning to abide said...

I'm reading some of your blogs and it's like I'm reading something out of my own journal. lol, who are you?

-Sarah