My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

unexpected friendly company

Just over a week ago, I arrived in Macon, Georgia with my parents, ready to explore where I will be living for the next six months. The week flew by complete with three days of intensive life guarding and First Aid/CPR training. As Sunday rolled around I was ready for some rest. Some of the residents invited me and a few of my housemates to attend church with them about ten minutes away from the facility. This was a good opportunity to reconnect in the body of Christ and to worship the Lord freely. I was reminded however, that big lights and distracting movements are rather unappealing when one leads worship, and that it is not a matter of how giant the stage, nor how grand the decorations or marvelous the facility, but it is Christ alive in us, in our hearts, and the grandness of His presence beating, breathing, and overflowing in and through our lives.

Later Sunday evening we were invited to the Macon Wesleyan Church to share in fellowship at a church barbeque. The closeness and intimacy of this small group of people blessed my heart. Their warm smiles and openness in conversation helped me flee from any temptation to be shy in a new environment. Matt, one of our staff leaders gave us a tour of some of the beautiful neighborhoods around us and I was captivated by the glory and beauty of God in the Georgia landscape as the sun closed on a rather intense and busy week.

Memorial Day for me marked the official start and beginning of my internship journey. Today was a good day for reflection and rest as we prepare for yet another intense week of staff training beginning tomorrow morning bright n’ early at 8:00am. My supervisor visited our house tonight to meet with myself and the other six girls who I will be living with this summer at Hephzibah. We were reminded that we are to set an example for the residents here and what is expected of us this summer as camp-staff and young adult representatives of Christ. It felt good to finally connect as an entire group and to gauge the dynamics of what our living arrangement for the summer has in store.

I spent the better part of the morning at the health clinic down the road waiting to be seen for swimmer’s ear. I woke up knowing that I had likely developed swimmer’s ear from all our rescuing and time spent in the pool last week during lifeguard training. However, the Lord is always faithful in providing divine appointments when we least expect them. Busily reading a book for internship Mrs. Charlane assigned to me, I sat, ear throbbing, only to be greeted by the pleasant smile of an older woman. She inquired about whether or not my book was Christian and I told her it was written from a Christian perspective and then shared with her my love for the Lord only to watch as her husbands grin grew larger and deeper into his face. This was a bit of a challenge for me to speak about the Lord in a hospital clinic, but my heart felt at rest and overjoyed at the opportunity. They in turn shared their love for Jesus as well and we spent the next two hours in conversation (though they did most of the talking) as we waited.

What amazed me most about this couple was their shamelessness and passion for Christ. Their lives of devotion and loyalty were evident as they spoke and interacted with people at the clinic. I soon learned that The Popes celebrated their 58th wedding anniversary just a few days ago and they were quick to share with me the testimony of God’s blessings in their lives over their lifetime. Just as they are dedicated to one another, they are seemingly also dedicated to the Lord. Sometimes being sick can be a drag, but I know the Lord showed His purpose in this visit.
I hope and pray to one day share a devoted life of love and service to Christ with whoever my future husband may be. In the meantime, I hope to be empowered by the Lord to have many more conversations and divine appointments with the people in Macon, GA about the love of Jesus Christ. After all, this is what life is truly ALL about!

No comments: