My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

spotting the snakes

Yesterday we got a tour of the wooded nature trails and I learned perhaps one of the most valuable pieces of information thus far in my “beware of creepy critters” file in my mind: the obvious difference between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. The difference lies in the shape of their head.

It is rather comical to consider that non-poisonous snakes are rather plain in color and tend to blend in with their surroundings. They have a round shaped head that follows the contour of their body and do not change shape as they slither around on the ground. The poisonous snakes however, have a diamond shaped head, and tend to attract great curiosity. They may have pretty skin-tones (copperhead) or make inviting noises (rattlers), and yet their bite may be lethal, especially babies because their venom is so potent.

As I consider and reflect upon this nature lesson from a distance, my mind has begun to relate the nature and makeup of these poisonous and non-poisonous snakes to people we encounter in our lives each day. It is easy most of the time for us to recognize plain ol’ snakes and to shoo them away, to flick them off the trail we are so obediently walking on. However, it is not only difficult to handle the poisonous ones. We sometimes lose sight of the lethality of their bite and perhaps even compromise our caution in trying to “handle” them in a situation.

The charm and fright of the noise they produce, the colors of their skin, or maybe even the thrill of exploring just a “little bit” off the trail tend to distract us just long enough to be struck. James chapter 3 speaks about the tongue being “filled with deadly poison”. Likewise, so are some of the “snakes” we allow into our lives without a second thought. They represent the “snakes” that distract or lure us off the safety of the trail. I want to be vigilant and wise in steering clear of the poisonous snakes that try to lure me off the correct pathway. I am reminded that the only way I can accomplish this is by resting in, trusting, and relying upon the Word.

No comments: