My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

my last name

I often joke about being the smartest kid in my preschool class - afterall, I had to learn the whole alphabet to spell my name. What do I mean? My last name is Zbylut...Z-B-Y-L-U-T, and as one can clearly observe it begins with a 'Z' or 'Zed' in Canada. My name is very Polish, and very unique. I've lived my whole life at the back of the line, it's just a natural thing for me.

Aside from all this, I'd have to say one of the greatest parts of having a unique last name is how people both attempt to say or spell it. Today, I was reminded once again of my preschool days learning to spell Zbylut.

Arriving home from work, I discovered a package on the kitchen table. It was addressed to my mom, and therefore, had this silly sight not caught my eye, I would have walked away without a second thought. However, what my eyes beheld was quite a humorous sight. In all the 19+ years of life, I've never seen an attempt at our last name go quite so wrong. The package read something to the affect of:
Rita Dbylut
----------
----

For those of you who think I spelled Zbylut wrong above by accidentally pressing D instead of Z, I shall inform you, whomever sent this package, hand wrote our name that way. Dbylut. (Neat!) I chuckled thinking, for sure, this guy takes the cake of poor spellings of our name. It's practically up there with Zibilt, Zibblet, Zyblut,Zoblut, Zibillet, etc.

Dbylut...who knew!? :)

1 comment:

Erskine said...

Hi Christy,

I would love to laugh along with you at this ridiculous attempt to spell your name; but I must say that I am "that guy" :). I never spell names right and therefore, would likely make a similar mistake!

Oh well :) We get some interesting ones with Erskine, too. You'd think it would be reasonably simple, but no!

(Natasha)