My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

one man's story

Who knew a simple question could open a hurting man's heart so easily?
Simple table talk - suddenly shifts into a serious, deep, outpouring of painful memories and cloudy yesterdays.
Just one question.
He hesitated for just a moment after I asked the question. He had worked the Jersey shore for years as a paramedica and likely had many life "saves" under his belt. Despite years of training and preparation - nothing would prepare him for this day.

He remembered well how crystal clear the sky was that morning, like nothing he had ever seen before. Shortly after arriving at his meeting, he got the call. Someone had hit the Trade Towers. Laughing off the silly event, they figured someone had missed their route, that's when the second plane hit.

After some 40 minutes of hearing his story, I began to realize just how much he needed to share his story. His eyes were moist with tears and a deep, agonizing pain seemed as though it began to release itself from him. My spirit felt that he really needed to share whatever was inside his hear and his conversation affirmed that. 40 minutes I sat, he talked, I listened. Watching his eyes was like watching him relive every second of the events of that day and the months to follow.

This man two years after the tragedy, attempted to take his own life and became consumed with 20+ years of darkness, hurt, death, and finally the purposeful destruction of persons through terrorism. He didn't know what to do or where to go. Confusion, depression and PTSD taunted his very being - but I saw Jesus in there. Those eyes and that sad smile, they bore the image of the living God whose love cannot be measured and from which we cannot be separated.

His story ended there for the evening - but last night he shared the "bright" side of the story as he called it - his coming to know Christ as Savior and Lord. He decided he shouldn't focus on anger and the darkness anymore, but on joy and life.

Bless the Lord! I'm so thankful for our stories.

No comments: