My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

listening

I really enjoy how the Bible is a mystery, full of giant surprises. It amazes me how sometimes we dwell on a promise or phrase and never dig deeper. We become satisfied in the wording of the first part of a verse and allow it to speak volumes to our heart, never wondering if the Lord has even more in store for us a few words later. I myself am guilty of this...sometimes it's easy when you get the "feel goods" to dwell in the moment and be content. Eh, I want more...much much more! I want to chase after Christ with an aching hunger and the only way I can do that is by consuming his word and digging deeper, to draw even closer to his nature.

"a peace that surpasses all understanding..." has been dancing through my mind for a week now, and hearing those familiar, safe, encouraging words of promise made my heart smile. Last night it hit me and before I knew it I was reading Philippians 4:7 with my mouth agape. Where in the world did the second part of that verse come from. I've never heard it spoken before. I didn't even know it existed.

"Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

I sat on my floor and heard myself say out loud "So Lord, this means..." and before I could even finish my thought, I stopped and he said " Yes." I continued "so..." and again "Yes."

How amazing is it that when we invest our time in the word, he'll bring us deeper, revealing his goodness to us and answering us when we call unto him? A voice of clarity and truth boomed in my heart's deepest chambers and I am beginning to understand my purpose for being in Caribou, ME this summer while I'd really enjoy being some place else.(feel free to guess where) God is good and his promises are far more than we deserve.

My dear friends
" May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace."
-Num. 6:24-26

1 comment:

Debbie said...

So true! God wants us to love His Word and Study His Word, not just pull out a promise here and there... but it's how we know Him. I've been so drawn lately to the book of Isaiah... what a beautiful book. God is so multi faceted and that book really shows so many sides to Him. Pretty amazing. Love ya lots!