My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Monday, August 21, 2006

i'm pretty sure my dad's a hero...

Sometimes I wonder how awful it must be not to have a dad around, what it must feel like everyday to not have a man who is your greatest critic, loudest cheerleader and favorite hero around. I love my dad very much, but sometimes I guess I forget to be thankful for him. With my dad having spend a year in Iraq, it gave me a lot of time to think about all that Dad does and let me tell you, he does a lot. You realize all the thankless tasks that dads do when they are gone for a little while like taking out the garbage, fixing anything and everything on your car before you even know somethings wrong, bringing powerade to every sporting even you have, and sitting through 3 hour band concerts to watch your 15 minutes of performing.

My dad may be goofy and do things that make my head spin with wonder, but still he's my dad, my biggest button pusher, and greatest hero. He might drive me crazy with spread sheets about college finances, but I'd be clueless without his help. He cooks, cleans, irons and surprises. He drives, organizes and plans, plans, plans.

As a little girl, it was a running joke in our family that although my dad loved to fix things and had a pluther of tools in his possession, that he was surely "tim the tool man taylor". One can not count the times he almost lots appendages, broke windows, visited the ER, zapped himself and almost broke himself, until one day something clicked. All around us, we explored with wonder as drybars, linen closets, storage shelfs, shingles, tire swings and steps came to life. They were sturdy and dad was unharmed. As we grew bigger dad's talents spread through computer work on graduation invitations and oil changes, flat tires and making your car shiny and brand new looking. Dad always knows what to buy and has a pretty decent job about what a problem is.

Well yesterday I got to watch daddy come to the rescue once again...after an interesting driving adventure.Dad knew how to fix the situation, once again. Thanks dad for all the little things you do that I sometimes forget to be thankful for! I love you!

*who are your heros?

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I love this write up about your dad! I must say he's a great person and as for dad's he's probably very close to the number one position, even in my opinion! He got me through a lot as a teenager and even as I've gotten older he's been there for a lot! Don't tell him I think these things... it's important I continue to be mean to him :)
Love ya Christy...

Rachelle said...

this was such an adorable post...

i love my dad too, he came to my rescue today... :)

Anonymous said...

Dads' heroism is so important, as it helps us to come to an understanding of our Abba Father. If our Daddy scoops us up as a child to kiss our scraped elbows and knees, tucks us in tight and makes us feel safe, encourages us to keep getting up when we fall down, opens our eyes to the wonders of the world and instills in us a confidence that he will support us and cover us in prayer as we head out on our own adventure, then he has displayed to us the love, the joy, the nurture and the strength of our Heavenly Father. Kudos to your dad for his heroism...and his willingness and desire to show you attributes of the character of God.

christy said...

elizabeth- thank you for your words of truth. as i wrote this post I was overjoyed in thinking about our Abba Father and His goodness and how He loves us enough to give us a daddy to show us His character.