My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

emptiness or overflow?

I realized today that when I place my cup in the hands of others - in order to be filled - sometimes I am left feeling more empty than before. We simply cannot be dependent upon other human beings to fill us up with love, encouragement, support, etc. Sure, it's awful nice and appreciated - but when its lacking, if we are solely dependent upon it, we risk suffocating from emptiness.


The only One who can fill my cup overflowing is Christ - through time in His Word, silently waiting before Him, listening, praising, worshiping, resting, hoping, joying - just being with Him. The toughest part about this I think, is that Christ's arms are not necessarily tangible - fleshly arms to wrap around me - His presence is sweet, powerful, overwhelming, and life altering, but why --- why do we long for arms of flesh to comfort us as well?

I haven't been really 'hugged' in months - since I was home last actually.
People have tapped me on the shoulders - or given a nice side hug...but there's something about a hug from someone you love that is unlike anything else.
A couple weekends ago I got a nice, warm embrace of encouragement from a brother I ran into and it lifted my spirits to know I was cared for and supported.

Today I'm fighting --- I'm battling this consuming cold front of emptiness and loneliness that wishes to creep into my heart and blind or distract me from what God is trying to teach me in this time. I need to press on - I need to push through - I need to fight and not give up. Giving up would feel so much easier - not necessarily better - it would be horrible and tiring, consuming perhaps - but pressing on...I can feel my feet digging into the soil as I desperately try to push back. The ground beneath me is beginning to crumble and cave - but I will continue running toward the mount - toward Christ - not looking back, but forward - though in a momentary tunnel of darkness, I will press forward toward that dim light in the distance - toward freedom, toward peace, toward fullness in Christ alone!

No comments: