My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Friday, October 09, 2009

homeless ministry lessons

Last night I had a unique, first time experience available to me by my own initiative – homeless ministry. Downtown on Poplar Street, an area I frequent Tuesday evenings for the young adult meetings I attend, I found myself – not driving by like I usually do, but parking and getting out to spend time hanging out with people.

I was emotionally a little nervous at first – I found myself somewhat reserved and timid – not sure what to do with myself. There appeared to be no one in charge willing to direct me in what to do – so I sort of awkwardly stood around for a few moments observing the people and park area. This is important because over the last several years of being involved in ministry I have always had someone offering me some sort of instruction – a plan of action – an initiative – a task to complete, but not this time. I was with other people, but felt all by myself.

My thought process was warring between “staying” and “leaving”. I had no clue what to do! I smiled at several people and offered greetings when I noticed a homeless woman walking toward me. She approached me, hugged me, and went on her way. All I could think, was why didn’t I think to hug these people. Here I am, “coming to bless the homeless” and they came more ready and equipped to love on me, than I was to love on them.

This reminded me that with my soon approach mission adventure, I will need to take more initiative in sharing about Christ with others – honestly, I find the idea very terrifying – but we serve a powerful God, and should be terrified of Him – but I think we should be more terrified of not sharing about Him, than of making ourselves UNCOMFORTABLE (there’s that word again) for His glory and purposes!

Several volunteers were cooking hotdogs or talking amongst themselves, but my attention was drawn to the people gathering to share in this meal – those dressed in mismatching clothes, several tote bags or Wal-Mart bags in tow. These people were the ones I’d come to see. I assumed I could come to this outreach night, give some homeless people food and leave – but the longer I stood there not sure what to do, the more I realized how humbling this ministry can be. I can do nothing on my own strength – but with Christ all things are possible.

The Lord provided me some blessed opportunities to speak with several of the homeless men – OC, Lonny, Prince, and Louie – and to sing too! Many of them were easy going and grew up in the area. I wondered what it would be like to live in one place your WHOLE life. That concept is so foreign from my mind and bizarre for me to consider due to moving so much - but I can see how this reality could be both a blessing and a curse for a person. Familiarity is always nice and sometimes safe or comforting, but it can also trap us, and cause us to grow so content, we forget there are other options, opportunities, and challenges to embark upon. Sometimes people may forget to dream because they have settled into what ‘they’ve always known’.

I think this first night of homeless ministry, nerves and all, is the beginning of something beautiful in my life, and Lord willing in the lives of countless others I will encounter and minister to/with along the way. I think I’m in for some serious heart change in this next season!

No comments: