My feet to go. My heart to love. Mine eyes to see and know. My ears to hear. My hands to serve. My life to Thee I owe. Your Word O God, write upon my heart, My mouth, may it always speak - the Truth about Your Love and Power - that all may see and know. All of me devoted to His call - Romanced by the greatest Lover of all.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

a fork

Prepare to be randomized...my sincerest apologies to anyone who was expecting more of my writing. So I was cleaning out the dishwasher tonight, deciding to be helpful to my mother and well I needed a cup because I was practically dying of thirst and they were all snuggled safely in the dishwasher. So seeing the overflowing heap of dishes in the dishwasher I decided to put away the coffee mugs...feeling I should do more I finished off the plates, soon leading to plastic cups, pans and eventually, the beloved silverware.

Stowing the knives in their wooden block I moved onto the silverware drawer sorting spoons from butterknives, butterknives from...EEEKKKK! Forks! Then it struck me. Why on earth does a fork look like that? Why I bet I haven't used one of those in ages! Then immediately I thought I'm such an idiot...I ate speghatti the other night with a fork. So why...why on earth was the design of this common dinnerware item puzzling me so very much? I have not a single clue. All I know is that I don't remember the last time I recognized what a fork actually looked like and must take for granted its spectacular usage during meal times.

No longer a dingle hopper, a catapult to flung mushrooms at your sisters, no longer an instrument on mommy's new china...a fork...a silly little fork. But why? Why have I forgotten what a fork looks like...only to be frightened by its strange appearance one night while putting away dishes.

I mean seriously...just look at it!!! Why do we eat with forks? Who picked a fork?
Good night all...and may you and your forks dine happily together for ever and ever.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, You are blond!!!!! and that comes from Mom's side of the Family, (hehehe). Just kidding. A fork; have you ever looked at the dish and the spoon. Oh they ran away together, (hahaha).
I LOVE YOU, Daddy

Rachelle said...

I, myself, was thinking about forks yesterday as well. Isn't that weird??

I was thinking "Some people use forks for their macaroni...some people use spoons..." And then I began to think about the things that could be eaten with either a fork or a spoon. Like mashed potatoes, for instance. You can eat 'em with a fork. You can eat 'em with a spoon.

The same goes for rice. I normally use a fork for rice, but some people use spoons.

Why is that?

FYI- I am a spoon person when it comes to macaroni.

christy said...

Dad- Thanks for the Nursery Rhyme update! :) I'm glad I could make you laugh...and thanks for the blond gene!

Rachelle- that is super cool..I'm loving the fact that you had random thoughts yesterday too...and you know what I think I use forks and spoons with my macarroni. It's so strange how we have certain utensils for eating certain food...

We are peculiar people!

Debbie said...

I must say I've never given a single thought to forks! I'm grateful for them though... I use them for everything I eat except soup and cereal! But I guess I lack the blonde gene you got from your dad :)... though I have pursued the blond gene quite ernestly for the past 3 years... wow I think my comment is stranger than the fork blog! :)

christy said...

Danielle, you are SO right about cake. Cake is a must-fork food! Wonderful insight about the potato-stabbing fork. Never thought about that!

Rachelle said...

Amen to Danielle's comment.

Brown-eyed Girl said...

Ok you all have way too much time on your hands...silly Christy...a "dinglehopper"...I think I let you watch too much t.v. as a child. I agree with dads blonde comment however it definately comes from HIS side of the family....except for Debbie of course..haha

Debbie said...

Oh to really be blonde... I think that would be the greatest gift! Total excuse for the many years I was a "dinglehopper"... but as you know age has totally matured me and now I only appear blonde!